Some actual writing... go figure...

So I figured i would actually write something in this poor excuse for a "blog", since all I ever seem to do is just post pictures of my kids like an over-obsessed dad. I haven't been able to help taking so many pictures with my new camera, but I could at least do an effort to write some meaningful content into this blog. I love the fact that I will be able to have all of these pictures that I'll be able to look back on years from now about my time here in Korea (and hopefully other countries). Also, I was fortunate enough to upload some pix that were later lost when my laptop was stolen, so I see it as a good backup of some of my favorite shots.

So, on to some good ole ranting...

I've been in Seoul, South Korea, for over 9 months now, and I've had a good experience, overall. I think the hardest two things so far would be when my laptop was stolen (ouch, but I got over it pretty well, I think) and the horrible horrible winter! I swear I never remember going through such a horrible winter. And that's with my 7 or so years of having lived in chilly ole Denver. I can't imagine living in some areas of Canada that I keep hearing gets so much colder, or other areas in the world.

The school where i work at, LCI Kid's club, I feel has been good. There may be some other better schools to work out there, but there are definitely some schools that I've heard of that are far, far worse. Sure, you usually don't know about any changes until (literally) right before it happens, and things can be quite unorganized pretty constantly, but there's lots of positives. I get paid on time, I work good hours, I don't have split shifts (big breaks in the middle of the day) or weekend hours, among other things.

As I've said again, and I'll say again, I am honestly grateful for having had the chance and opportunity to come out and teach and live in such a different culture that I've grown accustomed to in the US and Peru. Sure, I know I whine about it quite a bit sometimes (in particular the rudeness and pushiness of many Koreans) but, overall, it's incredibly interesting for me to live in a country where I'm the minority, the shunned foreigner, and the outcast nine times out of ten.

Last summer here, in Korea, was a great experience for me, as can be seen by the numerous trips and pictures I took and I hope and expect this one to be another equally exciting one. I hope to finally buy me some roller blades and also a used bike really soon, so I can start doing some nice outdoors exercise again, and enjoying the amazing Spring and (early) Summer weather. Once I finally get a bike (and the weather improves) I feel I'll be more inclined to actually do some exploring around the city and finding some more of the many locations yet to be discovered around town. I'll also start playing some frisbee again with (coworker) Jackson.

I'm also very grateful to be doing something I actually enjoy. I find it very sad and unnerving that so many come here for the good money that can be earned, yet stay after finding out they dislike teaching, only to build up their savings account. I think it's a sad truth that so many of these young kids are being educated by expats that are doing a half-assed job, when they should be getting the best education they can get, in these crucial years. There are definitely a lot of great teachers out there, for sure, and many much better than me, I'm sure, but I do feel a definite calling to teach, and I love being with my students. Heck yeah, it's super exhausting and can be frustrating, but the smiles and connection you get with them most of the time is the best feeling I can imagine. I love helping educating them and helping them with their formation as young children as they see the world with new eyes and full of hopes and aspirations. It's a great environment to be in, in contrast with the jaded views most adults (myself included) so often possess.

I obviously like it enough to have accepted to stay for an extra three months instead of traveling around China and Southeast Asia this summer. And the extra savings will be nice for when I come back next Spring when the weather is not quite so hot in China.

Anyways, that's it for now. I'm boring myself by now. I hope this what somewhat interesting to someone out there... Even if it's just my grandma and mom. *shrug*

word.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Almost there...soon enough this cold weather will be gone and we'll be able to explore Korea again. I can't wait! I have some rollerblades that i think will fit you (way too big for me) so don't buy any just yet. Keep taking and sharing your awesome pictures :)
Unknown said…
Christian, escribes super bien y creo que deberpias comenzar a escribir un libro sobre tus experiencias en Korea. Me encanta leer todo lo que pones y ver las fotos tan interesantes y meaningful. Can't wait to see and read some more...!!!
ma

Popular Posts