random thoughts

So this is just a (possibly) long rant about things I've thought about now and again while I've been in Seoul for the last two months.

First, I've been a bit dumbfounded at all the negative talk I hear from other foreign teachers about how crappy this is and that is, and how bad Seoul is, etc. etc. I think it might be thanks to my mom's upbringing, but I've always felt the best option is to look at things positively... as the old saying says, "if you've got lemons, make lemonade."

I'm sure I could have a neverending list, but here are a few of the complaints that I just have to think to myself "whaat?"

When I first got here, a fellow teacher from work was telling me "how retarded" it was that Koreans would pronounce the "s" character as an "sh" in many occasions... where all I could think was.. well it's *their* language, so if you don't take the time to understand it, why the heck are you complaining about it.

On that note, I think foreigners (such as myself) that come to teach English (or whatever other long term occupation) in Korea should really invest at least some minimal time to learning Hangul (Korean), and I think they'd find things would be much more rewarding in everyday life, as well as you get the respect from Koreans that you're actually trying to learn the language.

Continuing in that area, I'm glad I'm one of the (seemingly) few foreigners that actually is trying to soak himself in the local culture and customs (even if I can't stomach a lot of the food ^^). I just can't see myself flying halfway around the world just to go every weekend to the local foreigner district and getting drunk rather than some more fulfilling activities like some local cultural events, as I usually try to do.

I don't want to say it's wrong to do these things, or even just every once in a while (I'm not a big fan). But what's the point of being in such an amazingly different culture and environment if you're just going to do you're exact same routine as back home?

OK, enough about that.

Also, I keep hearing complaints from teachers from my school about (in my opinion) irrelevant trivialities, that almost seem like they're just trying to be difficult and confrontational with the school.

This is weird for me to listen to, and I just nod my head and follow along, but the majority (if not all) of my experiences at LCI Kid's Club, my employer, have been fine and often great. When I first arrived in Seoul, I was taken to my apartment by Mr. Oh and his wife (the owners / main bosses at school), and Mrs. Oh even had bought me some groceries, and have been just very helpful in many things so far.

I know I could go on and on but this is way too much whining for my liking, so I'll leave it at that.

Now, if you've lasted this long, I think I'll talk about how much I've loved being here so far.

-As I've probably stated before, I loooove soaking in the new culture, language, and the vast amount of things to do in Seoul and around Korea. I do feel bad to admit that I probably know Korea, this country I've been in for just around two months now, better than I know Peru, the country I was born in. Why? Simple, I've never worked (significantly) in Peru, so I never had the kind of money required to travel around and visit random places. And when I did have time to travel, I would go to the states to visit my dad, or back home to visit my mom. Not that I'm complaining, I know I'm lucky to have been able to travel as much as I have, but it's nice to travel to new places.

-I'm very happy to be learning a new language (I really do seem to love doing that), and am eternally greatful to Jiwon (my Korean coteacher who is helping me with a lesson or so every week) and also, now, to her (and mine now) friend Songjin for helping me (try) to learn Chinese, which is crikey oh so hard.

-Another aspect of the new culture and all that; I love being the minority amongst the Koreans. There is a very very small percentage of foreigners in Korean (less than 1% I believe is the figure) and I love experiencing what others must feel like in similar situations (such as being black or latin in certain areas in the United States), in an even more extreme sense.

OK, I think I'm done for now. Let's just say I'm happy to be in Seoul, and look forward to continue teaching, perhaps around the world. Let's see where this goes...

-word


Comments

Popular Posts