2nd Hike of the Year - Gwanaksan - 관악산

So I finally went on my 2nd hike this year, to Gwachon. I went hiking with Amy and Megan a few weeks ago, but yesterday's weather and trail were much, much better. I went with my friend Brian, who always seems to know where the good spots are.

Whenever I feel like I'm slightly in shape, I just need to call up my friend Brian, so he can give a me a good, swift kick in the ass.

Here's a shot as we approached the trail from the Subway exit..
You can see a lot of the peaks we'd go through later in the day.


A couple of shots of the flowers that seemed to be all over the place.


Here's a shot of me, only about 30 minutes into the hike. If I only knew all the fun that laid ahead ;)


And a view of the weather station and antenna that's very near the peak.


We basically approached the peak from the South side of the mountain, South of Seoul, and we went all the way up to the peak, through the longer "more fun" way, bouldering anything we came across, and then hiked through the ridge towards the West (going up and down over 8 more peaks), before finally hiking down through a beautiful park by Seoul University's campus.

Here's a shot of Brian going up some rocks I had just climbed before him...
FUN fun times! :)


And here I am climbing down some rocks..


Here's a view of one of the two temples; this one near the peak.


And here I am at the same spot.


Here's the outside of one of the very pretty temples.


Another view of the temple.


Some people praying inside.


Some of the thousands of Buddah statues inside.


The main statue inside the temple.
Pretty nifty.


Here I am with Brian outside one of the buildings in the courtyard.


Some tiny statues by the pagoda (I think that's what it is?).


The huge bell by the temple.




Here I am, a lot closer to the peak, with the 2nd temple in the background.


Better view of the amazing location of the temple.


Brian and me at the peak. Hurrah! Now only 4 more hours of hiking!


And some info, if you're interested, about the temple.


The monk, praying inside the temple on the cliff.


And a view of my area of Seoul, from the peak.
If you look closely, you can see Yuksam (63) building towards the center left, I live just south/down from there.


Here I am again, looking a bit more tired this time, closer to the end.


Here I am by the really pretty lake and what not at Seoul University.


And here I am, finally at the entrance!
The sign reads "Gwanaksan Gongwon" - "Gwanak Mountain Park"


And another sign, in case you're curious.


A *really* really great day.. one of those that makes me so happy to be alive and outside enjoying the incredible weather and nature.

word.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Christian, mis respetos =), bien ahi con esa caminata!
suerte en todo,
Mere.

Popular Posts