Gyeongbokgung (Palace)

So yeah, I went to the main palace in Seoul today, Gyeongbokgug, with Jiwon, and yeah... pretty similar to the other palaces I've been to so far... ^-^

Still, pretty nice and grand, I suppose?
Here's some fellas wearing some typical guard and trying to break these sticks with pure mind power. Alas, they were unable to accomplish their objective.

And here one of the guards poses with some pretty Korean girls in typical "Hanbok" Korean dresses.

A pretty statue by the main building inside...

And here I am posing in front of the lake towards the center of the Palace complex, which was one of my favorite parts. I think it was very pretty here.

And here's the interior of the Throne room. I do still enjoy seeing the intricate patterns and work on the ceilings and around the room.

And here is a picture that I was brave enough to take, to try and get a shot of this bee with the pretty daisies:

Anywho, after the palace we walked and walked around town, and checked out some concert by City Hall, when I saw a Peruvian jacket on a Korean guy! Second time I've seen someone with one on, but this time I had my camera ready!
I definitely want to snag one of those if I see one on the streets!

And here's a Korean family posing by the pretty fountain by the City Hall park.

And one of the various cool pieces of Art by one of the bookstores we went by. I really liked this artist's work.

---

But anways, lately I've noticed that I've become a bit disenchanted with the whole Korean culture. I don't really think it's the whole culture shock aspect or being homesick. Of course, I always miss my friends and family; sometimes more than others, but I've just started to "fight back" against some things that a segment of the Korean population does.

For example, in the subway when people push and shove, I've started pushing and shoving back. I've started to get more and more irritated at the scooter delivery guys or just plain people on motorcycles driving on sidewalks. Today, I *accidentally* elbowed one, and he almost crashed ^^. I didn't mean to cause that effect, but maybe he got the hint.

It just seems that many Koreans (not all, there are plenty of nice, amicable Koreans) are very cold and outcasting of foreigners (perhaps because we work less hours and get paid more, which I totally agree is unfair). Many are just very indifferent towards others and don't seem to give a second thought of shoving past you without a glance back or an "excuse me".

So yeah, I've stopped saying "sorry" and getting out of their ways, and started pushing back and trying to make a point to some of these rude individuals that cross my path.

So there you have it, that's my rant for the moment about Korean culture. I try to be culturally sensitive, and I do appreciate the different outlook living here has given me, but just some little things that I can't ignore any more. I do love being here, and don't regret doing this at all; I love the traveling I've been able to do and will do in the future. I've had a lot of great opportunities and will have more in the future. Just a quick gripe. That's all for now!

word.

Comments

Popular Posts