Catching up

First of all, thanks to my friend Courtney for reminding me to update this! ;)

So anyways... The last few weeks have been pretty interesting. I left Lima on February 14th on my return flight (I had bought a round trip ticket Tokyo-Lima-Tokyo) to Tokyo, but I just jumped off at the LA airport. I had a good time in LA, staying at my Couchsurfer host's house for a few nights.

We had a night out walking with several other couchsurfers through the art walk in downtown LA. I also spent a day with one of my mom's close friends, which was nice, walking in some beautiful botanical gardens and art museum.

So then I took a cheap flight out to NYC to apply for the education masters fellows, where you teach in high need schools as you get a masters in education (which I've already been accepted into, it seems). But since I left Peru I was already getting really homesick, so I had a premonition I'd have a desire to get back home regardless (which I'll get to in a bit).

I had another amazing host during my time in New York, and went to the MET, science museum, and walked around town and Central Park. It was a really nice time, but I could definitely feel the cold weather as I walked around.


The amazing MET

Oh, I also met three latin girls on the Brooklyn bridge as I was walking towards Manhattan. Monica from Mexico, Nahia from Honduras, and Marcella from Colombia. I told them how I was staying at a couchsurfer's house, and how I had met her online through www.couchsurfing.com. I joked to them that if they let me stay with them, I could make a quick trip up to Boston.


Monica, Me, Nahia, Marcella

Amazingly, Monica said I could come stay at her house, so after my interview I went up to Boston and had a really nice week with her and her son Isai. I saw a few different spots in Boston and Salem, and then took the Chinatown buses down to Philadelphia.


Salem, Massachusetts

My stop in Philadelphia was brief, but I was able to see all the cool historic spots downtown, such as the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, etc. Then, I took the bus off to DC that Friday night so that I could see my friend Amy before she went back to Wisconsin. It was nice to see her, since I hadn't seen her since Korea, where we met over a year ago.


The Liberty Bell

My host in DC was amazing as well. His name is Ranajoy, and he's from Calcutta, India. We were able to hang out a bit over the weekend, checking out some great jazz/blues music on Saturday and then some Iraqi traditional music on Sunday. We also walked through some museums. The rest of the time I also spent walking around all of the amaaazing (free!) Smithsonian museums as well as the Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial, among lots of other cool stuf.


A self portrait at the beautiful Capitol

After DC I caught a flight to head down to Mississippi. It was quite the fun day to travel, since Atlanta (where I was to catch my connecting flight down to Mississippi) had really bad weather that day. Long story short, our plane was rerouted to Charlotte, then we made it about 3 hours late into Atlanta, and I barely made my connecting flight to Mississippi.

It was nice to see my grandma and uncle Mike at the airport in Gulfport. Since then I've spent some time with my different relatives in Mississippi, including my aunt Karen, Elizabeth, and cousins Christie and Claudia. As they all might know, it's not the most exciting time of my life here in Mississippi, but I think they know as well as I do that I don't quite come down here for the thrills. I'm her so that I can visit my family since I don't get to see them all that often.


Grandma and Uncle Mike


Me with Uncle Mike

Oh, and my cousin Claudia's daughter Ayden, is absolutely adorable... Here, take a look...


Adorable..

Next Tuesday I'm catching a flight to Denver, where I'll be until the 26th, when I fly back to Lima. I really look forward to seeing a lot of my friends from CU Denver as well as getting some of my musical instruments.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm heading back to Peru because I got really homesick this last time I left. You'd think I'd be used to going back and forth, since I've been traveling (at least between the U.S. and Peru) since I was about 8, but this last time was really hard to leave. I think it has to do with the fact that I haven't lived in Peru in about 10 years now (since I left for Denver to do my senior year of high school there and University). I think it's time to spend some time back home.

Some of my plans include (possibly) studying for a translation certification, studying some languages some more, and giving private English lessons or some other type of work. I also look forward to playing some music with some of my friends or maybe some new people as well. It'll be nice to be "home" for a change, and not be on the move. It'll be nice, I'm thinking

word.

Comments

Popular Posts